Friday, August 6, 2010

38 week appointment update

I went in to my doctor for a 38 week check up. Over all it went very well. My blood pressure and other vital signs were normal, 120/70 which was a HUGE relief. The other day we were at the BX and I used the BP machine they had there and it was 145/80, yikes! Must have been wrong or random. My belly measured spot on at 38 weeks, which is awesome. Baby girl's heart rate was in the 130's which is her norm. I was 1.5 cm dilated (up from 1 cm at 36 weeks) and 25% effaced "and thinning" he said, which is up from NONE at 36 weeks. :D So while it is slow progress, at least it IS progress, and I'm happy with that.

Only down sides were I'm group B strep positive, which basically means I have to have IV antibiotics during labor. Since I was planning on IV fluids anyways, truly it's no big deal. The other negative was in order to see my doctor again I have to wait until August 16th to go in....TEN whole days away, rather than a week. I'm really hoping I don't make it that long and she's here before then, but who knows.

Kolt is a little worse off today than the previous two days, which his doctor told him to expect. He said it feels like someone is "squeezing" his eyeballs, so he has spent most of the day asleep, where as yesterday he was awake a bit more. Hopefully this fades quickly and tomorrow he's doing better. I was kind of hoping to get out of the house this weekend!

So now my plan is to get up and get things going. Well, maybe after today since I'm still sick. Any time I'm actually up on my feet I can really feel the heaviness and it usually will give me contractions. I would like to be well before I go into labor, so hopefully this cold goes away soon. My doctor gave me some medicine to manage the symptoms which is very much appreciated.

We've decided on a name for our precious baby, only problem is we can't agree on how to spell it. It will either be Layla Olivia Harris, or Leila Olivia Harris. I'm a fan of Layla because that's the easy common way to spell it, and I worry about people pronouncing Leila "Lee-lah" or "Lye-lah". Kolt loves Leila because he thinks it looks prettier and his dad loves it because it's the Hawaiian way to spell it (his dad grew up in Hawaii). So....we're still working on that. But at least she has a name. When I heard Kolt tell our friend yesterday that we had decided and said it all out loud, it made me cry. Our baby FINALLY has a name!!!

We really are getting so close now. Two weeks to go, give or take. Come on baby girl...come out!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the name and I am so excited to see her too!!!! I am glad Kolt is doing better. Did you guys get your box??

    ReplyDelete