All that being said, it makes me realize that Kolt will be leaving soon too. He hasn't received his tasking letter yet, but it's got to be coming soon. I keep thinking that I'm going to be such a mess, that I'm not going to be able to handle it, but honestly, what choice do I have? I have ALWAYS HATED it when women make the comment, "I don't know how military wives do it. I could never be separated that long from my husband." Maybe this is just me taking it personally, but I always want to respond with, "Why? Do you think you love your husband more than I love mine because I CAN be separated from him? Do you think that you just stop living when they leave and crumple up and die?" NO. You just keep on keeping on. You go about your life, your days, weeks, and months because what choice do you have? Especially when you have children. This has been one of my biggest pet peeves. I see people make that comment on facebook all the time and it drives me bonkers. "I don't know how you do it." Ug. Just don't say anything if that's all you can think to say. Or when they make the comment "I'd never let my husband join the military." LET him?? It's not a matter of let. My husband had the selfless desire to serve the country he loves so much, how selfish and ungrateful would I be if I just said, "Um, no. Let someone else's husband do it." Where would we be as a nation if no one's husband, son, brother, father served? It just really makes me appreciate how incredible my husband is, and to be honest, how amazing I, along with the countless other military spouses are.
I've gotten side tracked and I'll step off my soap box now. This has been on my mind for quite a while, but I just wanted to remind myself of it before I start whining that I won't be able to do it. Of course I can, and I will. Not yet thank goodness, but soon enough. Watching my friends leave just makes it that much more real that within the next 6-7 months I'll be standing at the air port saying good bye to him. Ug. I may have to deal with it eventually but I think for now I'll try not to think about it, and instead turn my focus to the holidays, that is a whole different post, however.
I was just typing up a post about Kerrie. :) Our brains are on the same wavelength.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, though. You can and you will. I've had people very close to me say super insensitive things that made me wish a draft were in place, but...it gets pretty easy to write people off when you live thousands of miles away. :)
Here's to our husbands and friends and here's to US for being the tough chicks that stand beside 'em.
:)
Girl, you hit the nail on the head. I am not a military wife, but I think you gals (and husbands for those who's wives serve) are just as much the heros as they are. Not because you LET them go, or you because you love them while they're gone, but because you understand the sacrifice they desire to make and the freedom they defend and you hold down the home front and pray and love them while they're gone. You are the first hand support that they need while they're gone. You have such an opportunity as a wife and mother of a service man and your daughter has the awesome chance to know a real life hero, both her mom & her dad. Sending love and hugs to you as you approach the holidays. Enjoy your family all in one place. :)
ReplyDeleteGirl you are one strong women, and Kolt is an amazing man! I have to admit, I think I've said that before...not that I couldn't survive without Zach but scoreless scared to be without him. I think every man and women who serves our country is amazing; they deserve so much praise!!! You are such a great wife for standing beside your husband, I know thats 'our' job in a sense, but not all wives do that! You are extraordinary and an amazing friend at that!! I love ya girl, and I am so thankful that I have met you! Have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday :) xoxo
ReplyDelete