I figured being a military wife that I would learn to make friends, and I'd see those friends come and go. I also planned on there being an awesome community of wives so that it would be easy to make friends. Yea not so much. Even living on base our neighbors never spoke to us, but to be fair I never made an effort either. I'm not the type of person to go knock on someone's door and say "hey would you be my friend??" It seems so pathetic. I feel like if they're looking for friends, they'll find me. As a result, I have precious few friends here. Two of them are in the USAF themselves and work and so I don't get to spend as much time with them as I'd like. I need to build up an group of fellow stay at home moms like myself. One's who are alone with their kids all day every and bored as much as I am. Don't get me wrong, I love being at home with my daughter and wouldn't have it any other way, but I get lonely and the days drag. I feel like such a loser trying to make friends, it takes me back to my childhood. Am I cool enough, popular enough, pretty enough? It's pathetic and I know it, but it's how I feel.
I don't really have any good place to meet people either, that's my biggest problem. There is no unity or community among Kolt's co-workers, or they're all older and in a different place in their lives. Leila isn't in pre-school or anything like that and while I would love a play group, I have no clue how to find one or create one when I don't know anyone. I've thought about organizing a block party as my neighborhood is new and none of us know anyone, but it's a busy street and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I just feel bored, lonely, and trapped some days. I need to fix this before next summer when Kolt deploys again (nothing is for certain but I'm sure he will). I need a good social network to rely on and no one is going to create one for me. Some how I need to break out of my shell and meet people, if anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd appreciate them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay, you posted!! I have no tips for making friends as I was in the same spot as you when Simon and Felix were littler. I think it's a pretty common thing, sadly. Those of us who sacrifice to stay home, sacrifice in more ways than the obvious ones. Being a mom is a lonely place to be, sometimes.
ReplyDeleteThat said, people who would classify you as cool or pretty ought not be someone you'd want to befriend anyways. As an aside, you're super cool and totally pretty, but that's not why you're my friend. :D
You have tons to offer in a friendship and any girl would be lucky to count you as one. I have no advice for finding friends other than just to be open and be yourself. It IS tough to walk up to people and engage, but you're outgoing enough to strike up conversations. Hang out at the park. A simple, "How are you/Are you from around here?" can crack the ice enough to see that sometimes the other people are just as lonely and longing for friendship as you.
BTW, our guest quarters are just about up and running. It may be time to figure out the HOP schedule!! :D:D:D