Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just an update

So Kolt had his interview and it went very, very well. The chief nurse seemed to love him and spoke very highly of his letters of recommendation (and considering she reads dozens of these every month, that seemed to mean a lot to me.) She also complemented him on his essay and his writing skills. The only hitch that really came along was the news that despite his 2 years of ICU experience, he STILL has to join as a med-surg nurse. This was quite upsetting considering we waited this long for him to join so that he could have the experience to go IN as an ICU nurse. Had we known that it wouldn't have mattered we would have finished this process at least a year ago if not more. Kolt didn't seemed overly discouraged at this as I thought he would have. This will provide him with a new experience in nursing that will hopefully improve his overall skills as a nurse, and his 2 years experience will boost his resume and put him a step above the other RN's that apply for the position when the time comes. He has to work med-surg for 2-3 years we were told. Hopefully it won't be that long, but it's a really good thing he has 2 years under his belt already for when it comes time to apply to grad school. Hopefully this won't push back his goal of going to CRNA school, but we'll just have to see. Some good news that came from his 2 years experience is he may get to join and start out at 1st Lieutenant instead of 2nd, that will make his promotion to captain come MUCH sooner, hopefully he can reach that within a year. The idea of being married to a Captain in the USAF is VERY cool, although we do plan on him making a career out of the airforce and he hopes to reach full Colonel before he retires. We shall see.

We are supposed to find out his assignment at the very end of July and I promise to post it as soon as we know. This will be very exciting news and I'll be shouting it from the rooftops!

Not a lot is going on with me. Supposedly I have the job with Priestly Mental Health in town but they don't have any clients for me yet so I haven't been working. It's been very frustrating but I really want the experience so hopefully soon I can start working with them.

Kolt and I are going to be renting our friends' house since they are about to move out and so after 8 months we will FINALLY have a place that's just ours again. There won't be any furniture or even a stove, but at least we can be alone sometimes and I can do down to SLC and work at UNI until I can work here. I am very excited about that. I can't believe we only need it for 4 months though, because then Kolt will be DONE working for IMC and moving on to the USAF. It's crazy how fast time flies. I can't believe that it's practically July. And i must admit I'm wishing the time away because I desperately want to know where we're going to be living. Then i can finally start looking into my future and what I want to do with myself school wise. I think Kolt is rooting for me to continue on with nursing school, and we'll see if I can get into a program somewhere. I'm not convinced it's what i want to do, but I'll be good at it and it makes such good money (compared to what i make in mental health), it's hard to ignore the practicality of it. I just really want to go back to school and find something that i can be passionate about and hope that will help me find myself. I've been feeling kind of lost lately and in large part i think it's because I've had no purpose this last 8 months. i really think that if i can find a job i love or go back to school that I'll feel much better about myself as an adult woman contributing to society.

So that's pretty much it. Kolt and I are playing pretty hard so far this summer and our weekends off are filling up fast with fun activities. If you want to hang out with us you'd better call so we can pencil you in ;)

1 comment:

  1. no furniture but there will be a stove!

    there was an issue with fire hazard or something in our apartment so we won't be able to have the stove.

    ReplyDelete