Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pride, not sorrow

Yesterday Kolt and I were talking and I brought up the fact that it bothers me when I tell people that he is deploying and they respond with, "I'm so sorry." Granted, I know they are just trying to offer support in anyway they can and I know they aren't trying to sound patronizing or anything like that, but it's like they're offering condolences. I truly appreciate the support and concern, but THIS is what he signed up for. He wanted to take care of wounded soldiers and vets and deploying will be the best way for him to do that. He is very excited for the opportunity to go and it surprised me when he himself said he was getting the same response from people when he told them he was deploying. It's not something to be sorry about, it's part of his job and he is happy to do it.

Now, I know that I've been talking a lot how hard this will be on Leila and me, mostly just me, but that doesn't mean that I want or expect people to feel sorry for me. I may need a shoulder to cry because I'm going to miss him more than I can even possibly imagine, but don't feel sorry for me. Feel proud of Kolt. I'm married to an incredible man who is selflessly giving his time to take care of those who truly sacrifice for our country by giving up an arm, or a leg, or half their skin to burns. He has a gift; he is amazingly good at what he does and he's chosen to use that gift in the most admirable way possible. Feel grateful, be proud, but don't feel sorry, not for me. There are far worse things that we could be facing, and I'm trying to remind myself of that everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Thats an awesome way to look at it, knowing it'll be hard on you for him to be gone! Most Americans DO feel greatful, and do feel proud of our service men and women..but know that in them doing that selfless act, they are leaving behind THEIR family to protect ours as well. Its always sad for the family who will miss their loved one, which is why people say I'm sorry. Not sorry as its a bad thing, but sorry your husband will be away from you. Without people like Kolt, this country wouldn't be. So thank you Kolt for all you do, And thank you Sus for being such a strong proud military wife. :)

    ReplyDelete