Things have been getting a little more exciting around here, annoying for me, but exciting none the less. Ever since my 32 week appointment I've been having contractions. Noticeable at first and then as the week persisted on, painful and more regular. By Wednesday they were accompanied by lower back pain and I decided I'd better go in and get checked out. Five hours at the labor and delivery triage unit and what they told me was good news, yet not what we expected or believed to hear. It would appear I'm right on the cusp of needing concern. The doctor said after 34 weeks they don't intervene to stop labor, I'm almost 34 weeks. I'm dilating (went from a 1 to a 2 in a week) but not effacing, so they're not really concerned. My cervix is also shortening (went from 35mm to 28 mm in a week, anything less than 30 is supposedly concerning) and they said it was probably fine. So they sent me home, said to resume normal activity and come back if the contractions get to be more than six in one hour.
Kolt and I did not quite share their lax attitude. While yes, I am almost 34 weeks now, I am in no rush for this baby to get here. Six weeks premature is still too soon for my comfort and it seems that when I'm active, or pick up Leila or her toys, or even just sit in an uncomfortable position for too long, the stupid things come back. Last night we were at a restaurant with our friends for 2.5 hours and it seems like the whole evening was one LONG contraction. I was hurting really badly and starting to get scared. Thankfully once I got home they calmed down and as long as I take it easy, they're ok. So I'm sort of on self imposed limited duty.
All of this has made me realize just how soon Jr could be here. (He's still nameless and will likely remain so until he's born). A matter of a few weeks and I could be holding my son. I can't even fathom that concept, but these constant and persistent pains made me realize just how imminent his presence is. Most of us are thinking somewhere in the 37-38 week range he'll make his appearance, but I can see him being stubborn and starting all of this early just to give me grief. It makes planning for family to come to visit very difficult. It's made me realize just how perfect Leila's arrival was and how I shouldn't plan on it again. I hope for my own sake I'm not pregnant until or past my due date if this keeps up and continues to get worse because it hurts and is exhausting. This didn't start until 36 weeks with Leila and wasn't nearly this intense even until 38-39 weeks.
I shouldn't complain though. All things considered I have very easy pregnancies and healthy babies. Things could be so much worse or more precarious and I need to remember that. I just know that I do need to take it easy because it's just too soon for him to be here. Two to three more weeks and I'll relax, three to four would be ideal.
Now, a little bragging on my baby girl's part. She now sleeps in her own room, all the time. I rock her to sleep, but I truly don't mind right now. I'm cherishing every minute the two of us have because I know very soon her whole world is about to be flipped upside down. I love that she wants me to hold her, needs me to be there for her. I'm sure once Jr is here it will be hard and we'll have to adjust, but there are just no words to describe the feelings I have holding her as she falls asleep. I love her so much, am amazed at the incredible person she is, feel so fortunate to be her mother, and have no clue how I'm supposed to love another child as much as I love her. I know I will, I know will it be easy and come naturally, but Leila is just such a joy and I'm so grateful to have her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment