Thursday, September 23, 2010

Taking the good with the bad

Leila seems to have a very bad case of baby acne. It started last week and was just a little on her cheek. Then it spread to her neck, ears, back, chest and I started to worry. It looked so red and irritated so I called the doctor and got her an appointment. Kolt's family has a pretty bad history of severe skin issues, allergies and eczema, so I figured I couldn't be too careful. The doctor looked at her for two seconds before saying it was just a bad case of baby acne. Thank goodness! It looks awful but she's not in any pain or at risk of infection, so I'm relieved. I have some friends who's kids have had it and they said it should go away around 6-7 weeks. The good part of the appointment is she got weighed, and she now weighs 10 lbs 2 oz!!! She's growing up so fast and so well. She's not a chunker, but she's got little rolls that are just darling.

I've been trying for about a week to get Leila to smile to no avail. Then Wednesday night Kolt comes home from work and holds her for about two minutes and he gets a HUGE smile. Little stinker. Wide open mouth, nice gummy smile. It made me cry, in part because I was jealous and partly because I'm so happy. She's such a beautiful little girl! We tried to get her on skype with her Grandma Harris so she could see it as well, but by the time we got connected she had a tummy ache from her vitamins and wouldn't do it.

Then Thursday morning I got up with her and fed her and rocked her for a while. I could tell she was in a good mood and not only did I get several smiles, I got a giggle! That has to be the most beautiful sound in the world.

I'm getting the hang of managing the house and taking care of her at the same time. Wednesday we went for a long walk with her in the snuggli, then when we got home I vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, and straightened up, all with her on my chest in the snuggli, and she slept! Even through the vacuuming. Later on that day I went to the grocery store. I've been afraid to do that alone but with her in the snuggli, she just slept and I was able to get all my errands done.

She's had some rough nights of sleep, and some awesome ones. I'm hoping to get more into a routine at bed time and hopefully get to the point where she goes to sleep around 11, sleeps until 3, wakes up to eat, and then sleeps til 6, eats again, and then sleeps til 9 or 10. Through the night her routine is pretty consistent, but her bed time varies depending on how upset her tummy is. Stinking vitamins.

My weight loss has seemed to stall. Everyone kept telling me not to worry about the weight gain because breast feeding just melts the pounds off. I always knew this was too good to be true, and it looks like it is. Five weeks post partum and I flipping GAINED a pound this week. Argh, I could cry. So all I was able to lose with the breast feeding train was 22 lbs. Which is great and I shouldn't complain. But I was really hoping to get down to 10-15 to lose on my own. 27 is seeming like such a huge number. Since I can't really cut calories it's going to take forever. I see myself in the pictures with Leila and I can't stand how huge I am, it's like it's ruining those precious pictures for me. We're doing family pics when we go to Idaho next month and I was hoping to be much closer to my pre pregnancy weight. Once the doctor clears me to run, I'd better get on it. Thankfully my foot no longer hurts, so I'll have no excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment