Monday, January 12, 2009

First Day of Skiing

Well, today was the big day. My first day on my shiny new cross county skis. I failed to calculate just how awkward it was going to be trying to keep my balance! For some reason I'd been having dreams that I wouldn't be able to make myself go, not the problem. The issue is keeping upright and not falling over. The real issue was we went up Strawberry Canyon to an area that people had been snow mobiling in. So there were tracks and we didn't have to break our own trail, but it was wobbly track with grooves that pull you here, there, and every where. I think I probably fell down six or so times, but you're not going very fast and the snow was nice and soft. The hard part there is getting back up! Twice I just had to detach my ski because it was far to awkward to get up. Kolt humored me once and fell himself. Nice to know it happens to the best of us occasionally :)

We figure we went about 4 miles or so and were out for about 2 hours. I tell ya my heart was pumping like crazy, what a work out! But it's not like running where you're winded and sucking air, you're heart's just going and my face got red and I got sweaty, but I could always keep going after I rested for a second.

I definitely felt myself get the hang of it more and more as we went and I'm sure if I keep at it I'll be far more efficient in my strides and work less and be able to go farther. That's what Kolt says anyways and I'm trusting him on it.

The only major injury of the day was Kolt's. He was closing the hatch on the Xterra after we got all geared up and his pole stabbed his big toe. Then the hatch shut and shoved it farther down on him. It looks like someone tried to cut his toe off! Poor baby. We probably won't be going back out tomorrow because of it. Hopefully it heals quickly because right now it hurts him like crazy!

4 comments:

  1. OMG Kolts poor big toe :o( I am glad ya'll had fun though! This will be good Kolt & Suz time :o) Love ya lots, and promise when I do get to visit one day you will take me skiing ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Kolt!!! I'm so proud of you though! You're venturing in new things, and I'm officially jealous since that's something I've wanted to try for SO long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kolt I hope your big toe is feeling better! You need to take pictures of those big falls of his Susannah. It has been great to hear more about what you guys are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you guys had fun other than Kolt's toe....ouch! How are you?

    ReplyDelete